We're bringing nostalgia back.
During these uncertain times, it’s important to continue being active members of your community, while practicing social distancing and following the recommended guidelines from the CDC and South Dakota Dept. of Health.
But this doesn’t mean life stops. Or that we can’t enjoy the little things.
If anything, this moment brings us back to a simpler time. Before instant gratification. Before technology. It’s the season of nostalgia. Looking back at what made us happy as kids is what makes us happy today. So, take a step back and enjoy the little things. This too shall pass.
In the meantime, here are few things we put together to keep yourself and your family happy and occupied. Luckily for us, our area attractions and businesses have adapted to this new normal. Turns out, our community is stronger together and we will get through this together.
- Go on the Artful Dozen outdoor scavenger hunt. The Artful Dozen is made up of 12 iconic sculptures only found in Brookings, and all but one is located outside. That's why this scavenger hunt is the perfect activity for a warm, sunny day.
- Explore a new fitness routine. With gyms closed, fitness instructors and gyms are providing the much-needed motivation to stay active. Follow them on social media and move your at-home workouts outdoors.
- Try a virtual class. The Children's Museum of South Dakota is offering some online classes and activities for your little ones on their blog, Seize the Play.
- Make, create, share. Dig out the construction paper and glue, it's time to get crafty. You don't have to be an artist to create and luckily for you the Brookings Arts Council is dabbling in online art classes. Check their class registration page for upcoming events.
- Try a new recipe. Grab an old cookbook off the shelf and get your family involved. Everyone has a role in the kitchen!
- Go for a bike ride. Back in the day, you knew where the local hang out was by all the bikes in the front yard. Take a cruise and wave to your neighbors and friends!
- Repurpose & build something new. Maybe you've been putting off that project for a few days, weeks, months.. or years! Well now is the perfect time to tackle that home project.
- Tune in online. A few of our downtown businesses are getting creative and offering an online shopping experience, from the comfort of your own home (PJs encouraged). Cocktails with Pasque is a night in with shopping, laughter, and conversation. Also, keep an eye on Trendz. They've hinted at a new video series coming soon called, The Closet Clique.
- Puzzles, puzzles, puzzles. After a long day of working from home, sifting through emails, logging in and out of Zoom meetings, you need a creative break! Puzzles are an easy and low-cost way to turn off your work mode and turn on your family fun mode.
- Family Game Night. Every family surely has a memorable game night experience. Whether its hiding monopoly money under your sleeve or sneaking a peek at your sister's hand while she's not looking... there is no stopping the contagious laughter and memories made while playing board games and cards with your family.